Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It really isn’t home if you don’t feel safe..

Written by guest blogger Miranda Ereys.

So I set up my home to make me feel secure. I totally understand that that if someone really wants to get in, they can. But I took it upon myself to set things up to make it more difficult.

I have timers on my lights, and I reset the timer every 7-10 days. From what I’ve learned you’ll be more secure if it’s difficult to figure out your routine. The problem there is I leave for work at the same time every day. But my building has two entrances, so I don’t use the same one every morning when I leave. Maybe I’ll use the side entrance for two days in a row. Then I’ll use the front entrance for a day or two. I mix it up.

There are no pets allowed in these condos. My peace of mind comes from my home security alarm from www.securitychoice.com. The maintenance team has a code that I set that’s just for them. So I know when they’ve been here. They’re a good bunch, but having a separate code for them is an added layer of security as far as I’m concerned.

The neighbors here are great here. I’ve been trying to convince the couple next door that light timers are essential, but they think it’s silly. And, maybe it is. But it makes me feel better. So I’m sticking with it.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena